2013 Year in Review
- Alderman Arena’s Art Advisory Committee
- 6 Corners Business Association
- Jefferson Park Chamber of Commerce
- Avondale Neighborhood Association
- Forest Glen Association
- St. John’s Darwin Days
- CPS Elementary Students Regional Art Show
- Congressional Art Show
- 6 Corners Design Committee—Sculpture Selection
- Jefferson Memorial Park – Art and Sculpture
- SRB Community Garden
- Senior Valentines Dance
- Barn Dance Apocalypse Event
- Wanda Cobar Sewing Class
- Great Chicago Fire Hydrant Project
- Fischman’s Cocktail Launch
Schools and Student Support:
- Paul Demos Student Film
- Luke Sword Student Film
- Disney II Magnet Schools: Art-in-the-Windows-Program
- Farnsworth Elementary School: Art-in-the-Windows-Program
- Portage Park Elementary School: Art-in-the-Windows-Program
- St. Viator Brownies: Art-in-the-Windows-Program
- Face Painting for Back-to-School Fair & Park Events
- Mosaic Supplies for Portage Park School
- Former Portage Theater Programs @ Schurz High School
Social Media Growth and Support:
- Facebook likes: 542
- Twitter Followers: 90
Public Art and Storefronts:
- Josi’s Yogurt Shop Temporary Storefront
- Ruk’s 2 Vegan Temporary Storefront
- Tango Che Temporary Storefront
- Taurus Temporary Storefront
- Hep Cat Mural
- Paschke Mural* (partial painting and consulting)
- NVAM Partnership Murals (commissioning, supervising & installing)
- Jeff Fest Windows
- Holiday Windows in 6 Corners**
- 6 Corners Bar-B-Que Fest (Mini-golf, Aluminum Pour)
- Jeff Fest Music and Arts Festival (Mini-Golf, Drum Activity, Backdrops, Mural Project Support, Photo Show Display, Tech Support for Acoustic Stage)
- Chicago Fringe Fest (Decorate Fringe Central, Supply Art and Artists)
- Chicago Artists Month (Curate 22 events for Portage Park Portion of Citywide Festival)
2012 AccomplishmentsJanuary 4626 N. Knox “CASH for Kids” program artistic technical assistance, Irish American Heritage Center, Mayfair Various Coin-a-Phrase Poetry project—area elementary schools February 5216 W. Lawrence “Senior Portraits” program, coordinate local artists. 4045 N. Milwaukee High School Hearts—mini film festival of high school videos 4762 N. Milwaukee “The Poisoner” –independent filmmaker filming in the ward March 4050 N. Milwaukee “Ghostbusters” – supply lobby art for photo op/marshmellow toss Student videos before main feature Off Site “Inside Out Photo Project” supply After School Matters student with photos April 4050 N. Milwaukee E.T. Event – arrange art and activities Sunnyside & Milwaukee Loteria window mural May Police Station 16th Police Mural on Station Garage Door Design & Submit Proposals for 3 Chicago Artists Month June 4050 N. Milwaukee “Pee Wee’s Big Adventure” photo op and activities Schurz High School video screening 6 Corners Business “Bar-b-que Fest” – create and supply art for street Supply volunteers to wear costumes and interact with crowd Supply street dancers Facilitate artwork and branding for event Organize Filament Theatre Ensemble for event Provide face painters Arrange piano bar with Keys for Kids Piano July 4754 N. Milwaukee Install Joe Pelligrini’s art in Alderman’s Ward Office Gallery Addison/Avondale Help with Addison/Avondale Lopez Mural 6 Corners Work with 6 Corners Business Assoc. Sculpture Committee 4780 N. Milwaukee Paint Fishman’s Window Mural on vacant building next door Jefferson Park Paint vacant storefront windows for Jeff Fest beautification 4813 N. Milwaukee Install Eric Craig Photos in former Kale Uniforms windows 5415 W. Higgins Install Mike Grucza & Terry Karpowicz in Knobe Gallery Windows 5512 W. Lawrence Install Claudia Laska Studios in vacant windows Jefferson Memorial Park Coordinate space and art for Jeff Fest Music and Arts Festival 2012 Arrange for Stefan Niedorezo to “Live Sculpt” Limestone Arrange for Artorium to demonstrate visual arts Arrange for Filament Theatre Ensemble to perform Arrange for Seanachai Theatre Ensemble Arrange for Natural Gas Theatre Company Arrange for Kathy Greenholt, Mike Fenton, Dan Aranda & Tommy Tuesday to perform Arrange for Circesteem to perform Arrange for Jeff Semmerling Mask maker to perform Arrange for magician to perform Arrange for Dog Saving Network show August Jefferson Mem. Park Back-To-School Fair, supply face painters Lamon & Irving Work w/ 6 Corners on parkette clean-up & paint 4050 N. Milwaukee Film Festival for film camp at the Portage Theater 4700 Montrose “End of Watch” memorial mural and dedication September 5512 W. Lawrence Facilitate art in store gallery @ Dough-on-the-Go Arrange for music on streets on Fridays 4021-4023 Milwaukee Build gallery space in vacant store Arrange and supply wood for Uneek Designs wood mural in Klee pedway Klee ped-way “Running with Dogs” mural by Jax Nakasena Facilitate Johanna Silva’s pop-up gallery Elston underpass Repair grafitti damage to Forest Glen mural 4754 N. Milwaukee Work with Alderman on Participatory Budgeting costs for art October 4023 N. Milwaukee Design & execute 2nd half of “Dogs mural 4023 N. Milwaukee Volunteers for clean-up 4041 N. Milwaukee Organize Filament Theatre Ensemble’s Chicago Artists Month show 4023 N. Milwaukee Implement Poetry Walk for Chicago Artist Month 4080 N. Milwaukee Organize and execute community aerosol mural for CAM November 4021-4023 N. Milwaukee Install IBAM Derry Peace Murals in space for NVAM opening 4041 N. Milwaukee Hang WWII Veterans’ Portraits in hall of NVAM for opening 4762 N. Milwaukee Space for student movie by P. Demos December 4041, 4021-23 N. Milwaukee Disney II Magnet School art in Windows for the holidays Jefferson Park Transit Station Arrange Boy Scouts to decorate trees for holidays Arrange St. Bellarmine’s Girl Scouts to sing carols Arrange Santa’s visit 4041 N. Milwaukee Decorate space for holiday party celebrating Filament, NVAM, NWCFS
Minutes from Last Board Meeting:
Summarized Minutes, November 4, 2012
Arts Alive 45 annual board meeting
- Call to order at 4:10 PM, Cyd Smillie’s house
- Introduction of new board members: Heather Aitken, Shannon Kemp, Amy Meadows (excused absence), Tony Passero. Officers elected: Cyd Smillie, President; Gary Heitz, VP; Shannon Kemp, Treasurer.
- Paperwork, changes & amendments mandated by IRS non profit regulations. Board members sign conflict of interest statements.
- Review mission statement. Discussion about changing DBA name to reflect work in NW side Chicago communities, not limited to Ward 45.
- Budget Review, Jan—Nov, 2012, actual and projected.
- A. Discussion about paying for design so that it becomes AA45 intellectual property. Motion made to pay for design for awarded work for hire in an amount not to exceed $200 without express board approval. Motion carries unanimously.
- B. Equipment purchases: plan to purchase tent, sound system ($400–$600), scaffolding, and what else might be needed on a case by case basis.
- C. Directors & Officers insurance: board members think it is prudent to obtain.
- Suggestions for projects from board members: garage murals; using recycled refrigerators; pop art gallery at Independence Park Bungalow; Chicago Fire soccer mural; Wizard of Oz/Frank Baum mural; large format photography window display which can rotate thru communities; beautify/wrap AT&T & other utility boxes; vertical gardens/living wall of plants on brick walls; poetry slams.
- Fundraising: plan event for spring.
- Board member recruitment: need people with accounting, fundraising, marketing, web & newsletter skills.
- Meeting adjourned at 6:00 PM.
We were created to implement the ideas and dreams of Chicago residents. We value your comments and ideas and want to become a partner in growth. Please contact us with your suggestions.